Wednesday 9 July 2008

Going grey! and a school visit.

The black pot is going grey. At least the water is and the wool at the bottom is going a pale grey. Of course I realise that this was a very unscientific experiment. I should have had known weights of leaves, fibres and so on and I will do this. In the meantime WE HAVE HAD NO SUN to speak of and all my solar dyeing is looking fairly miserable-very little colour and the madder pot looks a bit on the brown side. I think we need some good hot weather-Oh I wish ! To those readingthis from parts other than the UK we have had a winter in the middle of our summer or that is what it feels like!

Today I had a visit form my local primary school , Bodfari School , with whom I did a workshop in March. We made a banner and next week I shall go to the official unveiling and hand out an Art prize. I loved having the children and showed them a few plants. We found plants that gave red, yellows ( what a surprise) blue, purple, red orange and black but no greens. When I counted them I find I had 42 different dyeplants which did include things like nettles I have to admit but still I was impressed! I had no idea I had so many. Next week the Wi are coming and following that another group. I have a good introduction planned. "This is a working and wild garden" I shall say grandly and hope that this means they will overlook the rough edges. DH has been busy and tidying stuff up but as always it needs lot of work.

3 comments:

  1. Well, it's only been a few days. I wish I could send you some of our hot weather; that might do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could do too Leigh. It is so cold here and I have solar dyeing workshop here tommorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commiserate with you, Helen, and there is no change in sight:(( but if you ever come close to reed flowers (not in the garden of course) - they do give me a nice green! grey green, but without added iron....

    ReplyDelete