Sunday 4 October 2009

Sod's Law: getting red without knowing how or the lament of the toss it in and see what happens dyer

I am always on the hunt for reds. Madder red is often elusive as I have very soft water, brazilwood goes a not very nice purple when felted and is not very light fast so that leaves cochineal.
Last week sometime I decided to do some cochineal dyeing. I tossed in some ground cochineal-how much? I can't remember-I think 50 g but I am not sure. I added some cream of tartar. How much? Possibly a tablespoon and then soaked the cochineal for how long? Possibly two days which was then heated in the electric casserole till it simmered (I think). When it cooled I tossed in 100g of merino mordanted with 12% alum 5% cream of tartar and left it -for how long?I don't know. I heated (I think till it simmered) but for how long I don't know. :(
Here is the result.
Yummy yummy crimson (it does not come out so well on the screen -another sod's law.
I will never be able to get this again. :(
Sold it all yesterday :( and :)
The exhausts are very pretty too

Welcome to all the new followers -nice to have you

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful colour. If you remember how you got it be sure to let us know. I'm just experimenting myself right now. I heard nettles would give a forest green, but instead i got such a subtle almost caramel/green. I was disappointed at first but now I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am about to do it again and This time I will keep a record :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, Helen, it's an absolutely yummy color! At least you got it once. Who knows, you may get it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Leigh says, now you know it's possible! It is such a gorgeous colour.
    BTW, do you add calcium carbonate to your madder water? I do with weld to get that teeth-tingling acid yellow, and alos with the brand and madder indigo vat, do you use madder root or extract?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leigh-yes well Iam about to try again. Hi Prince town- I have tried adding calcium carbonate but maybe it is time to try again . When I did it some time ago I did not think it made much difference but I have a powdered calcium carbonate now.
    For the madder bran vat I use madder root. Traditionally you used the poor quality root but I use what I have and it does release a bit of colour into the vat I think making it a littl hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous colour, and you're right; the photograph really doesn't do it justice. It was a really deep, rich alizarin crimson. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to be that "tossing in" dyer quite often... though I have to say that I did keep better records in the beginning, but whenever I try to repeat a lovely colour, following the notes I took first - I nearly always ended up with a different colour! which makes me skip taking notes now; I only do it for new dyestuffs:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you Bettina.Only keep records swith new dyes or techniques. Life being too short!
    It is nice to have Alison -thank you Alison- confirming it is actually a deep crimson as she saw in the studio. Why it has come out pinkish I don't know It really is crimson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With computer just back from the 'doctor', what a joy to see the Fiery Felt colour on screen. Glorious!And personally, Helen, I see no reason to have to repeat (obliged to)any colour achieved. As you so rightly say, life is too short, let the indistrialists get hung-up on this colour consistency, yes its nice to be able to,but not a Heaven-sent command. Many thanks for your needed sanity/brilliance. Davì the Curmudgeon

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Davi-thank you.I think you are right I have been getting hung up on repeatability when in fact my strengths lie in original! :)

    ReplyDelete